You can use the 32-bit version of Notepad++ with the TextFX plugin to quickly remove duplicates, remove blank lines, and sort data – in one operation! This is a fast and easy way to get the results you want in just a few seconds. And as with any kind of automation: the more data you work with, the more time you save 🤓
The quick version:
- Install the 32-bit version of Notepad++
- Install the TextFX plugin (this is not available in the 64-bit version of Notepad++)
- Enable Sort outputs only UNIQUE
- Click Sort lines case [in]sensitive
Remove Duplicates, Remove Blank Lines, and Sort Data in One Operation
In this example, we have a list of data types used in a SQL Server table. We want to find all the unique data types used, and also sort them alphabetically.
1. Make sure that you have the Sort outputs only UNIQUE (at column) lines option enabled:
2. In the Notepad++ window, paste the text that you want to remove duplicates and blank lines from. In this example, we have 500 lines, and half of them are blank:
3. Select all the text and use either Sort lines case sensitive (at column) or Sort lines case insensitive (at column):
4. Tadaaa! 🥳 We have now removed duplicates and blank lines, and the data has been sorted alphabetically. In this example, we ended up with only 15 lines:
In the 32-bit version of Notepad++, you can use the TextFX plugin to quickly remove duplicates, remove blank lines, and sort data – in one operation! First, make sure that you have the Sort outputs only UNIQUE option enabled. Then, use the Sort lines case [in]sensitive feature.
That’s it! This is a very handy feature, but it is somewhat hidden away in the menu. Once you find it, however, it can save you a lot of time 🤓